What is a Program?
It is a set of instructions that can be understood by the computer to perform various operations. For making the computer understand the program we have to write the program in Computer languages.
To write a program we must use computer language. Over the years languages have evolved from machine language to natural languages. They are:
- MACHINE LANGUAGE: The only language that a computer can understand is machine-language also called as Binary Language.
- HIGH LEVEL LANGUAGE: A High Level language is English like language where in instruction typically translates into a series of machine language instructions.
- LOW LEVEL LANGUAGE: A low level language is close to machine code. One low-level language instruction converts into single machine language instruction
- MIDDLE LEVEL LANGUAGE: Middle level language is the intermediate language between High and low level languages.
STEPS FOR DEVELOPING A PROGRAM
- PROBLEM STATEMENT: Problem Statement means a question or a problem which is given to solve. Problem statement also contains the data like inputs available, Outputs required.
- ANALYSIS: Finalizing a method for solving the problem among various methods of Solution.
- DESIGNING: Here we keep focus on the data. Algorithms and Flow chart will be prepared here.
- IMPLEMENTATION: The algorithms and flowcharts developed in previous steps are converted into actual programs in high level language here.
- COMPILATION: Translating the Program into a machine code. This Process is know as Compilation. Errors are found in this stage.
- EXECUTION: The next is Execution. Here we get the OUTPUT as per our instructions given. We may face Run-time and Logical errors at the time of execution of program which may lead to incorrect output. The errors must be identified and solved to get a desired result.